Monday, February 27, 2017

Gluten Free at Zauchensee


As mentioned in my last post, we recently took a weekend ski trip to Austria to ski Zauchensee.

We stayed at Kesselgrub Familienhotel, which was fantastic for families with young children and included family-friendly rooms/suites and a KidsClub.  I emailed a week ahead to let them know that one of our sons has celiac and must not eat gluten or any food that could be cross contaminated.  They let me know they could accommodate this and they did!  

The entire staff was extremely nice and went out of their way to ensure he had safe foods to eat.  Note: if you are going and have Celiac or severe allergies, you will still need to be very careful and clarify needs.  While everyone had excellent intentions, this is clearly not a common service and understandably there was some confusion and misunderstanding.  However, the chef seemed to have a good understanding and prepared our son a separate evening meal each night.  In the mornings, our son was provided gluten free rolls and he was able to eat certain items from the regular fare: soft boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cheese, etc.  

Also, while on the mountain, my husband & I ate at the restaurant at the base (next to lift 8) and I noticed that the menu was marked with allergen information.  I took a picture of the page of the menu with the allergen guide (below) but later noticed that nothing on this page was gluten free.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the rest of the menu, so I don't know if there are any gluten free options.



No comments:

Post a Comment