Saturday, June 17, 2017

Hunting for Coffee?

Thursday was another holiday for Germany, so the kids were out of school and most shops were closed. However, many cafes in Köln were open, including a coffee rösterei that we've been wanting to try in our ongoing search for coffee.  So, the four of us took an impromptu trip north to Köln for coffee, brunch, and a stroll through the Belgische Viertel for ice cream.

As our resident coffee snob expert, Matthew has kept a running tally of the coffee we've tried, and I've asked him to share in case anyone else could use some coffee info around here. From his list, we buy #4 most frequently, since it's the most convenient (I go to the grocery store nearly daily). It's the best we've found at the grocery so far.

[Also, we highly recommend Cafe Bauturm in the Belgische Viertel on Aachenerstr.  The Käsespätzle was amazing as well as Matthew's bio burger which was huge. Jackson got a large, fluffy banana pancake with chocolate sauce and was not disappointed either.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the hunt for good coffee

During our brief tenure here in Europe, we continually have occasions where we find that some long-held perception is unhinged or contradicted.  My internal perception/value system for what good coffee has been completely associated with U.S. available roasters and I have struggled with finding beans that I like here.  Now that I am unable to rely on a trip to one of my favorite roasters in Atlanta,  I have been on a months-long search for good coffee to make in our home.

To add some complication to my quest, it's worth acknowledging that Europe is primarily geared toward an espresso culture.  Said another way: if coffee is served anywhere, it's an espresso based beverage.  Are you at a restaurant?  Don't bother asking for a cup of coffee - order an espresso or latte machiatto instead.  Still want one?  Make sure you ask for a café Americano.   In Germany, you can get a cup of coffee at some cafés but you have to order it as a Filterkaffee (filter coffee).

While I'm willing to forego my filterkaffee when I'm out and about, that doesn't change my desire to having brewed coffee in my own home.

Arabica vs. Robusta

When buying beans in the U.S - most higher end roasters only sell 100% Arabica beans.  I reached out to one of my favorite roasters (RevCoffee in Smyrna) and while they don't advertise 100% Arabica, they confirmed it to me this afternoon.  Another species of coffee, Robusta, is generally used for lower end coffee (think instant coffee and Folgers).  There is a lively debate on the Robusta vs. Arabica issue that you can read about from the Atlantic here.

However, some espresso connoisseurs place a high value on Robusta blends for the better crema texture that the species lends.  Crema is the froth that sits on top of a shot of espresso and can dramatically affect flavor and finish.  We witnessed this fact today by tasting a few Robusta espressi today at Moxxa Coffee in Cologne.


The Moxxa barista took great care in telling us that it was appropriate to stir in the crema to sufficiently mix it in with the shot.  I can say that it was good, albeit a different experience from most espresso that I have tried.  Moxxa's philosophy is that predominantly Robusta proportioned coffees can be used for espresso and Arabica blends are appropriate for filter/pourover/etc.  Other roasters strongly believe that the bean species (read: Arabica) is paramount to crema and therefore only 100% Arabica should be used for espresso.

In My Cabinet

My cabinet is full. of. coffee. 

Here's the list of what I've purchased locally (that we like):

1. Kurt - Der Kaffeeröster
Link: http://www.kurt-kaffee.de
Found at their café here: Clemens-August-Str.55 Bonn, Germany 53115

2. Einbrand
Link: http://www.einbrand.com/einbrand_Kaffeerosterei_Bonn___Koln.html
Found at this Edeka market: https://goo.gl/maps/cFzgAvmswhS2

3. The Barn - Berlin
Link: https://thebarn.de
Found at the Black Coffee Pharmacy in Bonn: https://goo.gl/maps/aVdw6WX5iB92

4. Gepa
Link: http://www.gepa.de/produkte/kaffee-tee/kaffee.html
Found at any Edeka

5. Moxxa Ethiopia Sidamo
Link: http://www.moxxacaffe.de/Startseite
Found here in Cologne near the Belgian Quarter (Belgische Viertel)

I tried only the 100% Arabica offerings from each brand and while taste is subjective, I preferred The Barn and Gepa most.   

I noticed that The Barn offers subscriptions - the first service of its kind that I've found here.  We picked up one of my favorites, and Ethiopia Sidamo from Moxxa yesterday and I'm anxious to try it.

***

U.S. roasters I like:


Counter Culture Coffee








Blue Bottle - Online








Rev Coffee Roasters - Smyrna, GA














Almost forgot:
Octane Coffee

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment