Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Dentists, Doctors, and School Schedules

As I write this, my mouth is still numb, and I'm still slightly in shock mentally too from getting an immediate filling at the dentist this morning.  I'd really like a cup of coffee, but I'm having trouble not drooling, so that will have to wait.  Maybe it will wear off by the time I finish typing. I hope. At least I've learned that when scheduling dentist appointments here, I should leave enough time for coffee beforehand instead of going immediately after school drop-off!!

As this is the first full week of school for both kids and all back-to-school parties are completed, I took this week to catch up on doctor and dentist appointments for myself.  I've taken the kids to several pediatric visits, but have put off my own care, so this was my first time in Germany.  Might as well get it all done at once!  And the dentist seemed to share that opinion.

I went in this morning, filled out new patient paperwork, and was taken back to the exam room where I shook hands with the dentist. He asked me if I had any complaints about my teeth so I told him one was sensitive. As soon as I sat down, he looked at that tooth first, immediately said yes, I had big caries and needed immediate attention. He turned around and when he turned back, he had a syringe in his hand and told me that I could reschedule the cleaning for next week. 45 minutes later, I walked out with a droopy mouth and a new filling (or two...not sure). Wow. Not what I expected, but I'm really pleased to have it taken care of.

Yesterday, I went to my first OB/GYN appointment for a routine well-woman exam.  I think this is the prettiest doctor's office I've ever been in! It's an old house on a residential street.  The pics don't do it justice.



I enjoyed getting to read (look at) German magazines since I don't usually buy them. Princess Diana, and now Kate, are the Queens of Hearts here too. :)  

The kids' play area in the waiting room at the doctor's office. No pictures of the dentist's office - I was a little distracted, and it just looked like any other dentist office.


Nothing very surprising happened here (thankfully!) other than getting a routine ultrasound along with the other tests that are performed in the US.  I mentioned to the doctor that I had never had an ultrasound when not pregnant, and she commented that it is important to look since there can be problems not felt or seen from the outside. Makes perfect sense and is so practical (of course).

I was impressed with the attention I received both at the doctor and dentist - neither seemed rushed and both gave me their full attention to discuss my needs. The doctor gave me her email address, saying she takes patients' emails whenever they have a concern or question and to feel free to email her.

Both kids are enjoying school and are happy to be back. Brandtley finally has a new best friend, named Moritz, so we're working on coordinating a time for them to play. Jackson stays at school until 4:30pm now in the after-school program where he eats lunch, does homework, and plays. He loves it. I love hearing about what he eats for lunch. Things like a pancake and apple salad.

Here is his new classroom schedule. Gottesdienst is their church service which is every other week. The X's indicate teaching the "normal" curriculum (math, writing, etc) by his normal teacher. And Jackson voluntarily signed up for Choir during 5th period on Fridays.


Brandtley got a new raincoat which he loves. It's made by Lego. Who knew they made rain gear?

Being silly at Jackson's school while we waited for him to finish & come outside.

A child's entrance to First Grade is a big deal here.  There are celebrations at the school and the child receives a Schultüte.  Since Jackson missed the first day last year (and knowing Brandtley would get a schultüte next year), we gave Jackson one for the first day of school this year.  The 1st Klasse at his school also had an all-day celebration with their parents & extended family on their first day, which the 2nd Klasse parents host, so I spent last Thursday helping with that at the school. We served homemade baked goods, coffee, and apfelschorle (sparkling apple juice), and I got a chance to see what we'll get to do with Brandtley next year.

Jackson digging into his Schultüte before school. He was so surprised! 
He really had no idea he would get one!

No comments:

Post a Comment